Managing Nutrients and Reducing Cyanobacteria in Water Treatment and Storage Systems
Managing nutrients in water is essential to ensure that microalgae and macrophyte plants do not become problematic in water treatment and water storage systems. Letting nature manage these nutrients through the eco-system is by far the most cost-effective way of doing this. But too often people have assumed that ‘Letting nature’ manage the nutrients means ‘do nothing’. Water bodies like the one below illustrate that to ‘do nothing’ won’t work.
Natural and healthy ecosystems have a balance of all nutrients in them. When wastewater sites and farm storages get more nitrogen and phosphorus in them this balance is lost and then the problems start.
Diatomix is a non-toxic nano-silica nutrient mixture that has all the micronutrients required for re- establishing the balance. When restoring water ecosystem health or simply removing the problems associated with unhealthy water is needed then Diatomix is the answer.
- Easy and safe to handle and use
- Fast acting –results can be in 24 hours
- Cost effective compared to filtration, weed removal, chemical treatments
- Creates stability and biological resilience within a system
- Optional automated, solar powered dosing system available
- Wastewater lagoons/wetlands
- Mine dams
- Farm dams and irrigation channels
- Aquaculture ponds
- Constructed water feature and wetland systems
Creating a healthy balance in water removes toxic blue-green algae issues, reduces floating weeds and bad odours. Setting up a Diatomix system is easy and makes long term economic sense for site managers and farmers.